Afternoon Tea - Tia Merino - Merino single ply
Afternoon Tea : hand-dyed speckled and splashed green, purple and natural single-ply yarn
- Base name - Tia Merino
- Country of origin - South American wool spun in Peru
- Fibre - 100% superwash Merino wool
- Thickness - 4ply / fingering weight
- Weight - 100 grams / 3.5oz
- Length - 366 metres / 400 yards
- Needle size - 2.25mm - 4mm
- Washing guidance - machine washable at low temperatures but hand washing advised to preserve the vibrancy of the dye
Hand-dyed yarns are unique and each skein can have subtle differences. If using more than one skein, alternate skeins every few rows to blend the colours.
Truth be told, this yarn base is my most favourite to dye as it takes the colour so uniquely. This single-ply merino yarn is nothing short of being pure luxury. With plenty of character, the dynamic high twist makes the yarn a little stronger but I’d definitely not recommend using this for socks as it is too delicate.
On stockinette, single ply yarns have a tendency to bias but for lacework, the sky is the limit. Once washed and blocked, this sophisticated merino yarn has an amazing drape, perfect for small accessories like a shawl.