The Lipstick Effect // 50g Lady Persephone Sock
Our 50g Lady Persephone Sock yarns will be hitting the online store on THURSDAY 9th JANUARY 2020.
Coined by former Estee Lauder chairman Leonard Lauder in the early 2000s, the "lipstick index" refers to an economic slowdown and people turning to small, affordable luxuries, such as lipstick and nail polish.
Well, we might not be in recession, yet, but the world is certainly reeling from a lot of uncertainty.
We're introducing 50g skeins of our most popular yarn base, Lady Persephone Sock as our "lipstick index".
Sometimes you don't need 100g skeins.
Your pattern might need a smaller amount.
You might want a contrast for heels and toes on your socks to eek out that 100-gram skein you have into two pairs of socks.
50-gram skeins are a small affordable luxury to mix and match with each other, to add smaller amounts of colour to a project, to put with your leftovers, as well as being a size that is still independently useful on its own.
50-grams are the absolute smallest weight that we will dye to sell and still cover our costs and wages.
We do pop smaller 20g skeins into our Yarn Cartel boxes as a treat but given how much more labour is required to go into skeins smaller than 100g, the price would be much higher than people are willing to pay for us to add to our yarn base lineup, given that we are an accredited Living Wage Foundation business.
- Base name - 50g Lady Persephone Sock
- Fibre - 75% superwash Bluefaced Leicester wool & 25% nylon
- Thickness - 4ply / Fingering weight, suitable for socks
- Weight - 50 grams / 1.7oz
- Length - 212 metres / 231 yards
- Needle size - 2.25mm - 4mm
- Washing guidance - machine washable at low temperatures but hand washing advised to preserve the vibrancy of the dye
IDEAS FOR 50 GRAM PROJECTS USING FINGERING WEIGHT YARN:
- Rose City Rollers by Mara Catherine Bryner (socks)
- Sockhead Slouch Hat by Kelly McClure (hat)
- Candyman by Lisa K. Ross (socks)
- Cover Your Plans by Martina Behm (book cover)
- Rye Light by Tin Can Knits (socks)
- Irish Mesh Cowl by Jo Strong (cowl)
- Purl Beret by Purl Soho (hat)
- Rubbish Mojitos by Woolly Wormhead (hat)
IDEAS FOR PROJECTS NEEDING 2X 50G SKEINS IN CONTRASTING COLOURS:
- How Cold Is It? by Drunk Girl Designs (mitts)
- Vintage Prim by Andrea Mowry (hat)
- Fingering Brioche Bandana Cowl by Lavanya Patricella (cowl)
- Vanilla Extract by Cassondra Rizzardi (socks)
- Pumpkin Spice Mitts by Skeindeer (mitts)